Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never prior to have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and brand-new strategies emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless people the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless method to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can harm you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician will not tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
my company Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat various result. The very best surgeon worldwide cannot ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of countless people worldwide.